Take moment and look at your personal website. Are you making any of these common mistakes?
- Flash in a Pan: 1997 called. It wants its Flash animation back. Flash will not show up on many smartphones and tablets, so that cool video that takes up your entire home page looks like a big, empty, black space to some people. Take out the flash, guys. Please.
- Men at Work If you have pages that are “Under Construction,” do us all a favor and take them down. Don’t keep an unfinished page with an animated .gif file of a cartoon construction worker. It looks unfinished and ridiculous.
- Lost in Space Is your website easy to navigate? Your website should be easy for an inexperienced computer user to navigate. The point of a website is to make it easy for your audience, not to dazzle them with your knowledge of complicated web tricks.
- Digits, Please Is your phone number prominently displayed on your home page? This sounds like a no-brainer, but a surprising number of websites should come equipped with a treasure map. Put your contact number on your home page. In BIG font. Period.
- Road to Nowhere Are all of your links and pages working? Nothing is more frustrating to a user than clicking on a link, photo, or video that is not working. Fix it or delete it.